Friday, June 4, 2010

It's been a while........

I haven't done much posting on any of my blogs lately, attack of life is my excuse and I am sticking to it!

Sadly, we ended up losing all our Silkies we bought from the breeder last May. The last one passed away about 1 month ago. The 3 roosters (which we think may be crosses) that we bought at the auction over 12 months ago are still doing fine. The one we had with the Silkies now has a new harem of about 6 hens from the other pen and the other two are in the bigger pen with about 15 hens. We are getting about 8 eggs a day at the moment - not bad considering we don't know how old the hens are! Custard (one of the ones I hand raised) is doing well and seems to be laying now too. Most of the hens are Isa browns that we bought at a local auction. Funnily enough, the ones we buy at auction we seem to have more luck with - go figure :-)

I'd really love to get some more Silkies but I think we will wait a while. There is a local breeder I'd like to talk too and I really need to learn more first as they seem to be quite sensitive. What ever killed them all hasn't bothered the other chickens at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment